Afghan peace course of: Taliban categorical ‘willingness to scale back violence’, Pakistan says

0
201
L 599491 101824 Updates

Afghan peace course of: Taliban categorical ‘willingness to scale back violence’, Pakistan says

WASHINGTON: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi mentioned Thursday that the Taliban had expressed a “willingness to reduce violence”, expressing the hope that an settlement between the militants and the US will see peace prevail in Afghanistan. 

In a video message shared from the official Instagram account of the international workplace, Qureshi mentioned “a step towards a peace agreement” had been taken right this moment. 

“Today, a positive development has surfaced [regarding the Afghan peace process],” mentioned the international minister in a video message. “The Taliban have expressed their willingness to the demand of reduction in violence. In my opinion, this is a step towards a peace agreement,” he added. 

Qureshi mentioned Pakistan had performed a accountable half in making certain peace prevailed within the area. He mentioned Islamabad wished for peace to prevail in Afghanistan and Pakistan as effectively. 

Taliban supply cease-fire to the US for seven or 10 days, says worldwide media

According to the AFP, two rebel sources mentioned the Taliban have supplied a cease-fire to the US, a move that would enable for the resumption of talks looking for a deal for Washington to withdraw troops from Afghanistan. Both nations have been preventing a warfare for the previous 18 years that has seen hundreds killed, injured and displaced within the nation.

After nearly twenty years of preventing, Washington desires to withdraw US troops from the nation however not with out safety ensures. For weeks it has been calling on the Taliban to scale back violence, posing it as a situation for resuming formal negotiations on an settlement that may see US troops start to go away the nation.

“It is an offer for a ceasefire either for seven or 10 days,” a senior Taliban official who requested anonymity instructed AFP, including that the supply was made to US negotiators in Doha.

“It has been finalised and given to the Americans. It is going to pave the way for an agreement.”

A second rebel supply confirmed to the AFP that the supply had been handed to the US.

The Taliban have but to launch an official assertion and Washington has not mentioned whether or not it has acquired any supply from the insurgents or what its response will probably be.

The Taliban and the US had been negotiating the deal for a 12 months and had been on the point of an announcement in September 2019 when US President Donald Trump abruptly declared the method “dead”, citing Taliban violence.

Talks had been later restarted between the 2 sides in December in Qatar however had been paused once more following an assault near the Bagram navy base in Afghanistan, which is run by the US.