Latest Posts

Ashford micro organism outbreak: Primary faculty pupil dies with an infection

Ashford C Of E Primary School, SurreyGoogle

A baby has died and one other has been taken to hospital after a micro organism outbreak at a main faculty in Surrey.

The pupils on the Ashford Church of England Primary School are believed to be in the identical yr group.

The UK Health Security Agency mentioned the kids caught the invasive group A streptococcal an infection (iGAS). Pupils and employees on the faculty are being prescribed antibiotics.

The baby who died was believed to be six. The different baby is recovering.

Cases of the an infection, which is typically referred to as Strep A, have been rising lately after the easing of Covid restrictions.

Line

Analysis

Michelle Roberts, Digital well being editor

Scarlet fever or Strep A is a extremely contagious bacterial an infection that may be extraordinarily critical – though it’s treatable with antibiotics.

In England and Wales it is a notifiable illness which means well being professionals should inform native well being safety groups of suspected instances to allow them to be handled shortly and attainable outbreaks introduced beneath management.

Spread in coughs and sneezes, instances happen most frequently within the winter.

Symptoms embody a rash, a sore throat, flushed cheeks and swollen tongue – referred to as ‘strawberry tongue’ due to its look.

If you assume you, or your baby, have scarlet fever, do search medical assist as quickly as attainable.

Early remedy with antibiotics is vital because it helps scale back the danger of problems and the unfold of the an infection to others.

Line

Ruth Hutchinson, director of public well being at Surrey County Council, mentioned: “We are deeply saddened by the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School and we offer our sincere condolences to their family, friends and the whole school community, who are in our thoughts.”

Dr Claire Winslade, well being safety guide at UKHSA South East, mentioned: “Information has been shared with parents about the signs and symptoms of iGAS, which include high fever with severe muscle aches, pain in one area of the body and unexplained vomiting or diarrhoea.

“Anyone with these signs ought to name NHS111 instantly.”

Presentational Grey Line

Follow BBC South East on Facebook, on Twitter, and on Integra. Send your story concepts to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Source

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.