China crackdown prompts hundreds to flee Hong Kong as U.Okay. opens new visa scheme



Biden tempers expectations for high-dollar donors who hoped to get plum diplomatic posts

President Biden is tempering the ambassadorial expectations of his big-dollar donors, signaling he will not hand out plum posts for months and hinting he’ll nominate fewer of them than his predecessors. The massive image: The president embraced the Democratic Party’s push for variety when selecting his Cabinet. Now lawmakers are pressuring him to increase it to his ambassador picks, that means white male donors — the core of his fundraiser base — can be in critical competitors for fewer spots.Get smarter, quicker with the information CEOs, entrepreneurs and high politicians learn. Sign up for Axios Newsletters right here.What we’re listening to: Biden is probably to reward loyal politicians and former aides, with discuss former senators like Claire McCaskill headed for a gilded put up in Europe. * On the policy-makers entrance, Julianne Smith, a former Biden aide, might be nominated as ambassador to NATO. * In the donor class, Denise Bauer, Obama’s ambassador to Belgium, was a high fundraiser. She may return to Europe, presumably Paris, among the many most coveted positions. * Doug Hickey, one other massive Biden donor, is also considering a overseas posting. * James Costos, a former HBO government who served as Obama’s ambassador to Spain, has expressed curiosity within the United Kingdom, however many others have an interest, together with David Cohen, a Comcast government. * Louis Frillman, an actual property investor, and Nathalie Rayes, president of the Latino Victory Project, have informed associates they’re considering Madrid or one other European put up.The massive query: The ambassadorship to China has lately gone to former politicians, giving Beijing the status of a big-branded identify and the White House the consolation that its envoy can have a political antenna to detect any potential issues. * If Biden names Disney government chairman Robert Iger, who has informed Biden officers he’s , it could break that mould.Biden is scheduled, climate allowing, to go to the State Department on Monday, a symbolic displaying as he seeks to re-invigorate diplomacy and underscore America’s dedication to allies and companions. He’s additionally anticipated to ship remarks about his overseas coverage initiatives. * While the president actually will identify some donors to high posts, others are getting nervous they’ll be handed over and are feverishly urgent their circumstances. * While greater than 800 people and {couples} raised greater than $100,000 for Biden’s presidential bid, the extra elite group of “bundlers” raised nicely above that quantity and likewise gave the utmost of $620,000 to the Biden Victory Fund.By the numbers: Biden will seemingly make non-career nominations for about 30% of the roughly 190 complete ambassadorships, leaving 70% for the profession Foreign Service, in accordance with folks aware of the matter. * That 70:30 ratio could be consistent with the standard breakdown, in accordance with the American Foreign Service Association. * President Trump deviated by nominating political ambassadors for about 44% of his appointments. * Trump’s nominees additionally skewed closely non-diverse, with greater than 90% of his openings going to those that are white, Foreign Policy reported in 2018.Go deeper: The political class has all the time been divided, broadly, into three buckets: coverage specialists, politicians and donors. * Biden is anticipated to attract extra closely from the primary two classes, leaving fewer positions for donors seeking to cap a profitable enterprise profession with a overseas posting. * Biden has a sprawling community of Beltway associates and allies however was by no means that profitable — or reliant — on the cash and celeb courses in New York and California.Support secure, sensible, sane journalism. Sign up for Axios Newsletters right here.

Yahoo News