Since October final 12 months, 11 rounds of talks had been held between the Centre and farm unions. Besides Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, two different ministers — Piyush Goyal (Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution) and Som Prakash (MoS, Commerce and Industry) — participated in all of the conferences with farmer representatives. On December Eight final 12 months, Home Minister Amit Shah additionally held a late evening assembly with the farm union leaders.
* October 14, 2020: Union Agriculture Secretary Sanjay Agarwal invited representatives of 29 protesting farm unions to Delhi and held the primary spherical of talks at Krishi Bhawan. The farm union leaders mentioned Tomar ought to attend the assembly, and tore copies of the Bill exterior Krishi Bhawan.
* November 13, 2020: The eight-hour-long marathon assembly between the ministerial committee and the farm union leaders remained inconclusive.
* December 1, 2020: Moving to resolve the standoff with farmers protesting on the gates of Delhi, the Centre opened talks with farmer representatives, who didn’t heat as much as its suggestion of forming a committee to look into their calls for.
* December 3, 2020: The authorities provided to rethink provisions of the brand new farm legal guidelines, however the farmer leaders caught to their demand for repealing all three legal guidelines. The talks ended inconclusively, however either side agreed to satisfy once more on December 5.
* December 5, 2020: The authorities once more provided to amend some provisions, however the unions caught to their demand for repeal. The authorities sought time to arrange a concrete proposal and supply a point-by-point written response to points raised by the unions.
* December 8, 2020: Home Minister Amit Shah met 13 representatives of farm unions. A day later, the federal government provided important concessions, together with a written assurance on continuation of MSP-based procurement, making certain parity in transactions inside and out of doors current Agricultural Produce Market Committee (APMC) mandis. The farmer unions rejected the proposals, a number of of which might require amending the brand new legal guidelines.
* December 30, 2020: Both sides indicated softening of stand through the four-and-a-half hour lengthy assembly. “Mutual consensus” emerged on two calls for of farmers — excluding farmers from the ambit of The Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Ordinance 2020, and dropping provisions of the draft Electricity Amendment Bill, 2020, that are supposed to alter the prevailing mode of subsidy cost to shoppers. Farmers had proposed a four-point agenda for the assembly; either side agreed to debate the 2 remaining objects on the subsequent assembly.
* January 4, 2021: No consensus emerged on two key calls for of farmers — repeal of legal guidelines and authorized assure for the next MSP.
* January 8, 2021: Talks had been inconclusive as farmer leaders caught to their demand for repeal, and the Centre instructed them to give you “alternative other than repeal”. Emerging from the assembly, Tomar mentioned the federal government “repeatedly requested” the unions to return with another aside from repeal (of legal guidelines). “But despite having a discussion for a long time, no alternative was given,” he mentioned.
* January 15, 2021: Talks had been inconclusive, however either side agreed to satisfy once more. “It was a cordial meeting with farmer unions. All the three laws were discussed… I hope that unions will take forward the talks based on today’s discussions,” mentioned Tomar.
* January 22, 2021: This was the final spherical of talks between the federal government and 41 representatives of farm union leaders. The authorities provided to maintain in abeyance the implementation of farm legal guidelines for 18 months. Tomar requested farmer leaders to rethink the “better proposal” provided by the federal government and get again with their choice. The farm union leaders rejected the supply.
Tomar mentioned 11 rounds of talks had been held to date, collectively stretching for over 45 hours. “While dignity was maintained during the talks, a sense to take a decision in the interest of farmers was lacking… When the sanctity of a movement is destroyed, then no decision can be reached… Therefore, the talks could not reach a decision. I also regret it,” he mentioned.