New Zealand crew land in UAE after scrapping Pakistan cricket sequence over safety risk

Players of the New Zealand team arrived in Dubai. Photo credit: NZ Cricket
Players of the New Zealand crew arrived in Dubai. Photo credit score: NZ Cricket

DUBAI: The New Zealand cricket crew arrived in Dubai early Sunday after fleeing Pakistan however officers refused to present particulars of the safety risk that compelled them to abruptly cancel their tour.

While some info had been shared with the Pakistan Cricket Board, “specific details could not, and will not, be disclosed – privately or publicly”, New Zealand Cricket chief government David White mentioned.

Upcoming scheduled excursions by England, Australia and the West Indies are actually in jeopardy.

“The BLACKCAPS have arrived in Dubai after leaving Islamabad on a charter flight last night,” New Zealand Cricket mentioned in a press release.

“The contingent of 34 players and support staff are now settling into their Dubai hotel and undergoing their 24-hour period of self-isolation.”

White mentioned he appreciated what a “terribly difficult time” it was for the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), however added New Zealand had no alternative however to desert their go to.

“What I can say is that we were advised this was a specific and credible threat against the team,” White mentioned.

“We had several conversations with New Zealand government officials before making the decision and it was after informing the PCB of our position that we understand a telephone discussion was conducted between the respective Prime Ministers.

“Unfortunately, given the recommendation we would acquired, there was no approach we may keep within the nation.”

White said New Zealand remained comfortable with its initial decision to tour Pakistan, based on comprehensive assessments of the security situation, and the risk-mitigation measures promised.

“Everything modified on Friday,” he said.

“The recommendation modified, the risk degree modified and, as a consequence, we took the one accountable plan of action potential.”

The New Zealand players and staff were taken in bullet-proof buses from their Islamabad hotel to the airport where they boarded the charter flight to Dubai.

Players not involved in next month’s Twenty20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates will return to New Zealand as soon as flights and quarantine facilities can be arranged.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button

Adblocker detected! Please consider reading this notice.

We've detected that you are using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking software which is preventing the page from fully loading. We don't have any banner, Flash, animation, obnoxious sound, or popup ad. We do not implement these annoying types of ads! We need money to operate the site, and almost all of it comes from our online advertising. Please add www.postofasia.com to your ad blocking whitelist or disable your adblocking software.