‘Sincerely sorry’: Shehbaz apologises for motorway assertion after furore

48
PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif. — The News/Files

PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif on Tuesday apologised for his earlier assertion during which he gave credit score to former prime minister Nawaz Sharif for having the Sialkot motorway constructed.

Since this incident occurred on the Sialkot motorway, I believe it will not be inappropriate to say that this motorway was additionally constructed below Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif’s supervision by the PML-N,” Shehbaz had said during his speech.

Taking to Twitter on Tuesday, Shehbaz said he was “sincerely sorry” for his remarks that came across as sensitive.

“Couldn’t correctly contextualize my remark throughout NA speech & it got here throughout as insensitive. I didn’t imply it that manner & am sincerely sorry for it. I’m devastated like all of u on this unlucky incident. Hope Govt now offers safety on Sialkot motorway four security of residents!” he tweeted.

Shehbaz’s comments had been slammed on social media by the Pakistani Twitterati, who criticised the former Punjab chief minister for claiming credit for building the motorway instead of focusing on the crime and how to prevent it from happening again.

Immediately after his speech, federal minister Murad Saeed said that he accepted responsibility for the crime even though it had not taken place at the motorway.

Murad had expressed disappointment at Shehbaz’s remarks, stating that it was unfortunate how the PML-N president was claiming credit for building the motorway and the forensic lab where the tests were conducted.